Television switches the brain to a physiologically passive condition. You cannot critically process information from television as reliably as when reading the same information. Your brain is not capable of thinking through what you are seeing and hearing.
With real-life interaction or reading, the brain is activated and able to learn. TV suppresses logical processing.
- “Studies have shown that watching television induces Alpha Waves in the human brain. Alpha waves are brainwaves between 8 to 12 HZ.”
- “Alpha waves are “brain states associated with suggestibility”
- “Alpha wave state caused by TV can cause unfocussed daydreaming and inability to concentrate”
- “In less than one minute of television viewing, the person’s brainwaves switched from Beta waves—brainwaves associated with active, logical thought—to primarily Alpha waves”
- “Most parts of the brain, including parts responsible for logical thought, tune out during television viewing”
- “Reading requires much more thinking than television, and we know that reading fosters young people’s healthy brain development”1
This is one of many studies proving TV degrades mental functioning.2 Alpha brainwaves shut down critical processing, and increase suggestibility. Beta brainwaves enable logical processing. TV shuts down Beta Waves and switches to Alpha Waves.
The only thing worse than a brain sleeping while awake, is a brain not knowing it is sleeping while awake. It really is a very effective form of hypnosis and brainwashing, as well as deteriorating your complex-thinking potential. You think you are fine, but you are not fine.
Call of the Active Mind, ©Copyright Robert Rose-Coutré 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016